STRAVA Summary

Saturday, June 30, 2012

Niagara Ultra Training Run!

I have a habit of not doing what I am supposed to do when it comes to running and the Niagara 100k was no different. I should have used this race to practice my pacing for Vermont, but no I decided (subconsciously) to race a distance I had never done before. Stupid Ass! Well it bit me in the ass and I DNFkd for the first time this year. I ran with Bill till half way, but should have ran my own race and heeded what other runners were doing. Not to blame Bill, I need to run my own race.
It all started at 6am. The temperature was nice, but not being too cool meant it would get warm as is usually the case at Niagara, where there is little shade. Starting at 6 was a blessing as the run out to the Falls was good and we felt good, probably too good. I had some good conversations with Chris McPeak and Lee Anne Cohen, but they got smart and backed off the pace. I picked it up to catch up to Bill. With the injuries, hamstring, kneee, glute, piriformis etc. This wasn't a smart move, but I was feeling good at this point. We hit the turn around at 25k at about 2 hours and 20 minutes. Headed out again and we were surprised when the first 50k runner passed us. Holy shit he was moving. The run back become some what more difficult. There are the up hills out of the Falls on concrete sidewalk, but was that just an excuse? It was nice to see the other runners going the other direction too. Bill and I were both taking more walk breaks as we progressed and few more runners were passing us. By the time we got to 50k it was becoming clear that to finish was going to be difficult to say the least. I got changed refuelled and headed back out, leaving Bill, who said to just go on. He wasn't looking good. His ankle and foot were bothering him. My right leg was staring to become a real problem.
I walked out of the 50k aid station and walked for quite a while. WHen I started to run it was far from comfortable, but I determined to continue on. At least for now. Iw ould continue on to walk/run/walk until the 60k mark where at that point I was mentally in a bad place and my leg was screaming at me to stop. With Vermont coming in 4 weeks I made the decision to stop. THere was no reason to continue on and do more damage. It helped that Kelly was waiting for Bill there and I knew I could get a ride back. Bill showed up about 10 minutes later and tried to talk me into continuing, but although I almost did, I knew there was no point. Joan had also came into the aid station at this point on her way back on the 50k and agreed with my decision.
I went back to the start line and had a couple of beers something to eat and cheered inthe 50k runners in.

This was great seeing people I know finishing in great fashion. Chris "Battman" Battaglia setting a PB for the 50k, as did Steen for this course. RickyMac finished and of course Joan finishing her first 50k. I also saw Deanna from work finishing her first too.




After heading back to the hotel to get cleaned up and looking for runners on the course we went to the outlet

mall for a bit and then back to the start finish to see the rest of the 100k finishers coming in.
Passed a few on the route back in and saw Catherine just tearing up the course she had passed many runners since I had seen her last and was looking very strong. Chris McPeake was still out there and struggling. He looked like he'd been dropped in a hot pool with all the sweat dripping off of him. Back at the start Bill had already finished and was getting cleaned up. He had finished in 11:47, a tough second half , but he did it. I watched Lee Ann come in and she also looked strong. Then Catherine came in, 12:47 a great job and she is on course to do great at Vermont at this rate. Good to see. Chris struggled in after having a really hard time with stomach issues etc., at least he finished.



A tough day for all, but some did a lot better than others. Myself? I have come out of it with my confidence in shatters, but still trying to convince myself that I did the right thing, but worried about what caused me to stop. I still have a few weeks to correct everything before Vermont, but its not going to be easy.

2 comments:

chris mcpeake said...

You made the right call by dropping. No point risking Vermont just to finish. I had fun running with you and Bill but should have dropped back earlier.

Dont let it get you down too much man, this one was an odd run with it all on road, in the heat and really no idea how to pace it.

BTW if I had a 100m coming up I would have dropped as well!

Barrie RoadRunners said...

Thanks Chris, its just hard accepting DNFing. I've got my head on straight for Vermont though, going to have fun there.