STRAVA Summary

Friday, January 13, 2012

A New Year...

A new year and new ideas about training pop up, whether they work or not we will find out in the months to come. So what have I changed? Well Theo talked me into going swimming at the East Bayfield Rec centre and possibly spinning too and last week I took him up on the offer. With the extra workouts it's not leaving much time for rest though and I will had ego be careful with that and take the days off when I feel I need them. I started running Monday nights before the new year and with runs on Wednesday, Friday and Sunday now joined with a long Saturday run, Tuesdays and Thursdays were my only days off. Not anymore as Swimming is Tuesdays, Thursdays and Saturdays. Saturdays swim following my long run. I'm guessing this will either kill me or make me stronger.
So far the swimming is going well, albeit tough slogging. I am so inefficient when swimming, but apparently with a few pointers and some work that will get better. At the moment I am just trying to get used to swimming for as long as possible now. I definitely feel the work in the arms and shoulders. My first spin session was this past Thursday ad it was ok, rather boring, but a lot of sweating.
THe running has been great as the whether has been very cooperative, at least until today that is. The temperature dropped during the day to -8C and snowed most of the afternoon. The run tonight felt tough, but mostly due to the sloppy conditions as apposed to the cold an wind. Tomorrow I have my long run and it may be rather abbreviated as it is supposed to be about -18c in the morning, with out the wind chill. We shall see!
I've been upping the mileage as my first race of the year is only 7 weeks away at the Green Jewel 50k. As of today I have also signed up for Seaton Trail 52k, Sulphur Springs 50 miler, Vermont 100, and the North Coast 24 hr. I still plan on signing up for Pick Your Poison 50k (still no registration available for that one yet!!!! Come on guys), although I was surprised to be the first one signed up for Seaton Trail. The Niagara 100k is another race is want to do, I think! Most of the rest of the Ultra Series too, but the time will come to sign up for those.

No comments: