STRAVA Summary

Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Lead Up to Simcoe Shores Relay

After 2 weeks of self imposed recovery from Burning River I was just itching to get back at it. To be honest I was feeling great after only a couple of days and think I could have run the following Wednesday. The only lingering affect from the race being my feet still feeling hot and somewhat swollen, so a week off wouldn’t hurt and because I was off to England the following week it rolled into 2 weeks. In hind site, I wish I had taken my running gear to England with me, as everywhere I went there were people running, reminding me about what I was missing. But I am sure that the 2 weeks off was the best thing I could have done.
Since returning from England I have been in overdrive running everyday and looking at increasing the training to include 2 runs a day at times (today being the first). I’m not normally a morning runner, but recently I have been awake long before the alarm so I figured I might as well start getting up and run even if it is only a shorter distance. So Monday morning I got up and ran a semi fartlek run for 7.2k and figured that would be a good morning run and I did the same again today. Today’s run would be the last early run for the week though as this weekend is the Simcoe Shores Relay, 240 km with a team of (in our case) 7 runners. The race starts Saturday morning. Our team is in the last (3rd) wave and don’t start until 10:30 am. We expect to be done on Sunday morning at about noon. It is a tour of Simcoe County form Barrie to Orillia, to Coldwater, Midland, Penetang, Wasaga Beach, Collingwood and finishes in the town of the Blue Mountains.
We did this last year and had a ball, the only draw back being that each runner will only get in about 40k of running over the 24 hours or so. Less if we have 7 runners, which may be the case. Theo is hurt and is going to try running but it doesn’t look good and Roger is out. Aidan is replacing Roger. So we may be down to 6 runners, which as far as I am concerned is ideal.

No comments: